Welcome to our journey with growth hormones.Hope you enjoy reading!
RSS

Thursday, August 15, 2013

Day #1 training and first growth hormone injection!

Today was the Big Day!! We had to wake up earlier than normal to get to Lily's appointment. They wanted to schedule us for 8am but I pushed it to 10am..lol.!. Hey I'm not a morning person and I knew I needed a few extra hours so I could focus on everything I needed to learn.We're still on summer vacation so we've gotten pretty lazy with our mornings. We packed the hormones in a small ice chest we have with the ice packs they sent us with the shipment. Too bad they didn't send us any cool travel gear to help make it easier but we got it to work with what we had. I think lily was excited since she got up faster than normal. Shes not a morning person either!

 Got there right on time with little wait. The Genentech trainer was really helpful and friendly. He showed us how to do everything with a demonstration pen. We got to squirt "fake" hormones into the air. I shot it at my hubby to lighten the mood. Hey that was the best part! Lily was a little uncertain and even though she was happy that she would start growing the uncertainty of what the shot would feel like was making her a little uneasy. The trainer then gave us all instructions of where to give shots and let Lily pick which spot she wanted first.  To a kid its like asking "Hey where would you prefer a knife to be jammed into your skin?". She sat for a few minutes and Dad chimed in how about thigh. She agreed. LOL.. I don't think she really wanted a shot anywhere but Dad got things moving again. We prepped.Lily got the dose dialed and the pen all ready to go.Alcohol swab on.. wait until it dries.. She said she didn't want to do it herself(I really didn't expect her to do it but the trainer asked her if she'd want to). Pen in my hand. I realize something that makes it kind of difficult for me. This pen is made for right handers! I'm a lefty why oh why it feels kind of awkward! I felt pretty nervous. I've never given a shot before and here I am ready to test out my skills on my child!! Are these people crazy??? I figure the needle is sooo small what could possibly go wrong right? I pinch the skin, In it goes and out comes the hormones.

 Lily kinda started whimpering a little before I put it in because she was scared of how it would feel but honestly it was soo fast that she said it really didn't hurt. Next time I promised her I would do it faster and not shake as much. LOL. No bandaid needed as its soo tiny the skin just closes on its own. The trainer teased that Lily already looked taller!! LOL.. I'm still pretty nervous about doing it on my own tomorrow but honestly it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. In fact I think poking myself while sewing seems much more painful than that teeny tiny needle! I can see her giving herself her own shots in a few months. Dad on the other hand said it will leave it up to us. Hes too scared to try. Men! We go back in 3 months for a checkup. Heres hoping for lots of growth!! 
STATS today: 
Age 8yrs10mnths: 44 1/8in 40lbs

0 comments:

Post a Comment